1. “good will” gift to a foreign government official in order to assure approval by the official for a contract with the foreign government that the company desperately needs to survive. How best would Machiavelli “ethically” advise the company?
a. Do not pay the bribe as bribery is a legal wrong everywhere with no exceptions and thus bribery is everywhere immoral.
b. Do not pay the bribe as bribery is “categorically” a moral wrong everywhere and at all times and with no ethical exceptions.
c. Pay the bribe since it is absolutely necessary, but be smart, shrewd, and very careful about it, and then know that you have acted in a “virtuous” manner.
d. Pay the bribe only if you have the full express approval of the U.S. Department of
2. Justice Legal Affairs Department as well as the Business Ethics Office and also the approval of foreign government official’s government. Utilitarianism can best be characterized by:
a. The consultation of an outside source, such as a person or a book, for guidance.
b. The belief that a person must decide what course of action is proper based on that person’s own set of beliefs and feelings.
c. Determining which course of action produces the greatest amount of good for society.
d. A set of universal rules based on reasoning that must be applied in all situations and characterized by reversibility.
3. In making business decisions, Owen, a certified financial planner with Private Investment Corporation, attempts to apply his ethical belief that human beings have fundamental rights. This belief is best reflected in
a. Utilitarian ethics
b. Ethical Relativism
c. Natural Law and Kantian ethics
d. None of the above.
1. The statements, “Man is the measure of all things” and “Justice is the will of the stronger,” can best be attributed to:
The Natural Rights theorists.
2. Ron is a director of Standard Company. Ron has a right to
3. Which of the following is a false statement?
In a limited partnership, the liability of the limited partner generally is limited to the amount of capital he or she has invested in the partnership.
In most states, limited liability partnerships are available to all types of business people.
In winding up a general partnership, creditors are paid before partners receive their capital contributions.
A partnership technically legally “dissolves” when a partner ceases to be associated with the carrying on of partnership business.
The answer is the third answer, “In winding up a general partnership, creditors are paid before partners receive their capital contributions.” A general partnership is “wound down”, not wound up.
1. Ron is a director of Standard Company. Ron has a right to
2. The concept of in personam jurisdiction is that:
A court has the power to enforce a judgment against a particular person.
A party has a personal stake in the outcome of a particular case.
Special requirements must be met in nonbusiness cases involving individuals.
The case has been filed at the correct location within the state.
3. Specific performance is generally awarded:
In cases where nominal damages are also awarded.
Where the contract involves the sale of property or goods that are unique.
Only under the U.C.C.
When the non-breaching party requests it.
1.-Aclass system is based on——-,whereas a caste system is stratification based on——. . ascription and achievement;
2.-the social construct of race is to—–traits as the social contruct of ethnicity is to—–traits. biological;
3.- In Margaret Mead’s study of three New Guinea tribal cultures, she found that the Tchambuli were different from the Arapesh and Mundugumor in which of the following ways? ”
1. The significance of a “frolic and detour” is that:
It determines if an employee can be liable on a contract made on the employer’s behalf.
It can determine if someone working for a business is an employee or independent contractor.
It can determine if an employer is liable for the negligence tort of an employee.
It can determine if an employee is liable for torts he commits on the job.
2. France has a civil law legal system. Civil law systems are principally based on
administrative rules and regulations.
detailed codified law.
3. Which of the following is true regarding a contract modification under the UCC?
A contract modification needs new consideration to be enforceable, just like at common law.
A contract modification needs no new consideration.
Modifications must always be in writing to be enforceable.
A and C only.