How do you feel about quizzes (formative assessments) and tests (summative assessments)?
Interview questions and answers are attached. Must use original work and APA style formatting.
Part 1: Student interview
Interview students, asking the following questions:
- How do you feel about quizzes (formative assessments) and tests (summative assessments)?
- How do you prepare yourself for assessments?
- Provide an example of an assessment that you enjoyed (unit project, presentation, etc.). What did you like about it?
- Have you ever played a game in a class that was used as an assessment? What was the game? Explain.
- Do you like assessments that are more interactive such as games or do you prefer more traditional paper assessments? Explain.
Use any remaining time to support the mentor teacher and students in the classroom.
Part 2: Reflection
Reflect on the student interviews and your time in the classroom using the following questions:
- What is your overall impression of how students feel about assessments?
- How can you take what you learned during these student interviews into your future classroom?
Write a 250-300 word summary including the students’ responses and your reflection
Research a culture, other than your own, from the current wave of immigration from world areas such as Asia, South Asia, Africa, South America.
Your research should focus on a specific culture in your geographic location ( for instance Markham has large Chinese community).
From your research, summarize your learning about the following:
• the community – location, size, resources, challenges (access, services, etc.)
• the culture – cultural roles and responsibilities
• communication (language, high-or low-context, use of silence and body language)
• personal space and time orientation
• cultural customs and celebrations
• spiritual beliefs and/or religious affiliation(s)
• cultural practices related to health and healing
Identify how immigration affects health and suggest an approach you might take in helping to promoting the health of someone from this cultural heritage? Referring to “Strategies to Bridge the Gap” (Srivastava, p. 91), name the approach you suggested.
Post a summary of your findings of your above research and health promotion approach.
Criteria for Evaluation and Grading
1. 6 pages excluding title and reference page
2. 12 font Arial or Times New Roman
3. Double spaced
4. Minimum of 3-4 references
5. APA format
6. Submit in a Word.doc document
Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down by Anne Fadiman
Health is a cultural construct, arising from beliefs about the nature of disease and the human body, cultural issues are actually central in the delivery of health services treatment and preventive interventions. This book presents cultural differences of healing practices. In the Western culture of the United States, there tends to be a dualism of mind and body in healing practices, while in the Hmong culture the mind and body are often viewed as one. This true story involves the life of Lia Lee, a Hmong child who is epileptic. The key point of the book is the cultural barriers. The proper treatment, by Western standards, becomes the basis of a tug-of-war for Lia’s life between her doctors and her parents. The author uses this battle as a way of discussing Western and Eastern medicine and how each group views the patient in such different ways.
Using the concepts and theories related to culturally competent care, identify the dynamics of difference that created the barriers between the Lee family and the doctors. What were the underlying issues? What went wrong? Who was to blame? Did this clash of cultures impact the final outcome?
Using the cultural concepts you have acquired through the course critically analyze the events and offer alternative approaches that would have offered culturally congruent care.
Post a critique of the communication interventions used by both teachers in the media
Post a critique of the communication interventions used by both teachers in the media that:
- Explains whether each teacher’s communication interventions have had a measurable and meaningful effect on student outcomes.
- Based on the student’s present levels of academic achievement, functional performance, and IEP goals and objectives, shares at least two evidence-based communication interventions and describes how you demonstrate the importance of using evidence-based practices instead of non-evidence-based practices to meet the student’s needs.
- Explains how you would get both teachers to understand the value of evidence-based practice.
Parents are not always informed of the developmental milestones for their children, leaving many to wonder what the appropriate behavior and aptitude is for children of their child’s age. Early childhood educators can often assist parents by providing a list of resources that provide the additional information and support they need. To be ready to provide this information, educators need to keep current regarding available resources.
Identify five Southern California and/or national professional or educational organizations that address the needs of children ages Birth-Pre-K in educational settings that you could share with other early childhood teachers and staff. Organizations identified should have websites with credible, current, and useful information regarding integrating legal, ethical, and policy issues related to educational, developmental, and medical services for infants and young children and their families into their teaching practice. At least two of these organizations should focus on the needs of individuals with exceptionalities.
Include and Describe the following for each resource identified:
- Organization Information: Include name, website address, headquarters location, and date established.
- Services: What services does the organization provide (i.e., educational, development, medical services)? Who is the target audience? Explain the legal or historical basis for the organization’s formation or the offering of these particular services.
- Mission and Philosophy: What is the mission and philosophy of the organization? Identify the philosophical foundation of the organization that motivates them to provide their services.
- Hierarchical Structure: What is the hierarchical structure of the organization?
- Funding and Status: How is the organization funded? Is the organization under for- or non-profit status?
- Training: Provide examples of outside trainings or conferences the organization holds for early childhood educators.
- Rationale: Provide a brief rationale describing why you would recommend this resource to the teachers and staff.
While APA format is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using APA documentation guidelines,