Complete one of the following options.
Option A: Description of Dance Styles
Select two styles of dance, such as ballet, modern dance, or folk dance.
Describe each style of dance and include the following:
- History and development of the style
- Discussion of your understanding of the use of line, form, repetition, and rhythm in each piece
- Description of what the movements of both styles communicate to you in terms of mood
- Description of how artistic choice can affect the viewer in the selected style
Submit your assignment in one of the following formats:
- 700- to 1,050-word paper
- 4- to 7-minute podcast or video
Option B: Playlist Mixtape
Create a playlist of 6 to 9 musical works.
Organize your selections under a theme such as “Music for Motivation” or “Cross-Country Playlist.” Be as creative as you like.
Include the following:
- 2 or 3 works of popular music, such as rock, pop, country, dance, or hip-hop
- 2 or 3 works of medieval or classical music; selections may include cantatas, oratorio, fugues, and so forth
- 2 or 3 works from other musical forms such as opera, jazz, or folk music
Write a 350- to 700-word summary of your playlist which discusses how the formal and technical qualities of music affect you. In other words, how does music create a certain type of mood, and is it successful in prompting a response from you, emotional or otherwise? Also, explain how the artists and music on your playlist use different techniques to communicate ideas. Use at least 5 to 7 vocabulary terms from the text in your discussion which may include but are not limited to the following:
- Call and response